February 1, 2010

Chicken Tortilla Soup

From the "Fix-It and Forget-It" Cookbook. If you do not have you...it is a MUST!!!!!

4 Chicken Breast halves (I put in two frozen breasts...yep, FROZEN)
2 15-oz. cans Black Beans, undrained
2 15-oz. cans Mexican stewed tomatoes, or Rotel tomatoes (I just did diced tomatoes to cut down on the spice so the girls could enjoy)
1 C salsa
4-oz. can chopped green chilies (I left these out as well)
14 1/2-oz. can tomato sauce
Tortilla chips
2 C grated Cheese
I added Sour Cream

1. Combine all ingredients except chips and cheese in large slow cooker.
2. Cover. Cook on Low 8 hrs. ( I cooked on high for 4)
3. Just before serving, remove chicken breasts and slice into bite-sized pieces (Mine just shredded and were so moist). Stir into soup.
4. To serve, put a handfull of chips in each individual soup bowl, ladle soup over chips, top with cheese (& sour cream).

It is wonderful...and gaseous! :)

4 comments:

Sarah said...

WOW that sounds yummy. I will have to give that a try. lance and I love the chicken tortilla soup at McAlister's. I also love things I can forget. :-)

Erica said...

LOVE mexican cuisine!! So glad you are enjoying cooking. I'll have this with extra cheese and extra jalapenos:) YUM!!

jo said...

i made this tonight - my first ever crockpot meal! it was yummy - thanks!!

Eryn said...

this sounds wonderful! i bet you could do ground beef too! cant wait to make it!