September 14, 2009

The Gateway Cup Bike Race

This is the second year we have been invited to tag along with the Wagener family to the Gateway Cup Bike Race at the Hill. This is the first year Big Sis has competed in the Children’s Race…and she was STELLAR!!!

We always manage to find a great place to set up and view the race. Each family brings a dish to share. This year we had two new families with us, Julie, Al and Alex and Aaron, Sarah, Charlie and Violet, along with Matt’s parents, who are regulars.


The kids love watching the racers whiz by us (and they create and fantastic breeze). The first was the women’s race, followed by the kid’s race. I was a little concerned as to how Big Sis would do because she is still a little nervous on her bike. I should’ve had more faith because when the girl’s race, ages 4-5 on training wheels, took off, she was like lightening. I was sooooo excited and ran beside her cheering her on. I happen to look around half-way through to realize we were in FIRST PLACE!!! Excitedly I cheered her to push a little harder, to which she just looked at me and kept on track.


I’m pretty glad she’s not overly competitive because it was shortly after this that a little girl came from no-where to take home the Build-A-Bear first prize. Big Sis still doesn’t know there was a prize for first and is completely pleased and content with her ribbon. She took it just about everywhere for the rest of the weekend. So, a third place win for a first time racer is quite the accomplishment if I do say so myself!

Looking forward to next year, praying for good weather now because we’ve been very blessed the last two years. And, who knows, maybe next year Baby Girl will be ready to blow the wheels off the other kids as well!



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Still reading.... :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

yay for ella!!

The Losch Family said...

I love it!! Great job Ella!!