December 3, 2009

Creative Correction

As stated on Facebook earlier this week, I was slapped in the face with my oldest's desperate need for some hardcore discipline. I've been floundering as of late and relying on my own strength and finding no success or peace. So, after a rough Tuesday, partly me, partly two children, partly Satan and mostly my sin, I decided I had to set some boundaries: not only for Big Sis but for myself. I am not creative, especially when it comes to discipline. I was certain spanking would work for my family and when that failed me I went to choices...that has breeded somewhat of a monster.
We purchased the book "Creative Correction", by Lisa Whelchel (Blair from the Facts of Life) when we thought we were in the Terrible Two's only to find out that Three was a force to be reckoned with and with the arrival of our second during that whole phase, everything sort of went out the window. So, back to Tuesday, as I attempted to go to bed early, I decided I must get the book out and see what it had to say. It is by far the most practical parenting book I have read. Some of the things are probably different for other people, but I needed step by step ideas to try. I browsed through and found some great stuff in the second chapter. Each chapter has a "Toddler Toolbox" full of ideas. This chapter was full of VERSES! Of course, duh and "HELLO"...why don't I think of these things? They are pages of verses dealing w/ different attitudes and sins we encounter, not only in our children but also in ourselves. When we tucked Big Sis into bed that night, we sat down and explained that things really needed to change in our home and that we want her to grow to be a Godly woman and Godly women start by obeying their parents and it is our job to cultivate an attitude of obedience to God from which comes obedience to us. Then I pulled out a few verses dealing w/ the difficulties of the day. That little girl SOAKED IT UP!!! We also explained that we exhibit these attitudes ourselves and even have them to one another in our marriage in front of the kids. We finished by reading verses from 1Cor. 13 about Love. Here are some references we read:
Arguing: 2 Timothy 2:23-24
Attitude: Proverbs 17:22
Complaining: Phil. 2:14-15
Listening: Proverbs 12:15
Obedience: Col. 3:20
Respect for Parents: Eph 6:2-3
Love: 1 Cor. 13:4-7

When I was walking out of Big Sis' room that evening, she looked at me and said "Mommy. Can we read more of that book tomorrow?" Wow...what an impact it makes when I actually take time to discipline, do it right but mostly do it Biblically!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds wonderful! i really need to look into that book.

The Losch Family said...

I'm purchasing the book tomorrow!!

Erica said...

sounds like you guys are doing a great job!! I am going to look at it too:)